Video doorbells are among the most popular smart home gadgets, and their popularity reflects their high demand. These digital doorbells are like your smart sidekicks. They do more than just let you know who’s at the door. Doorbells come to your rescue when you want to talk to neighbors, give directions to delivery workers, or even handle unwelcome guests. They also serve as your first line of defense, capturing important happenings and alerting you to anything suspicious that may be happening in or around your home. They are a great security device for your smart home and can augment your home’s surveillance cameras.
This page contains affiliate links. If you purchase an item using an affiliate link I will receive a small commission at no cost to you. Affiliates do not influence my recommendations. Read my disclosures for more information.
Why You Should Buy a Video Doorbell?
Above, we have explained why you should consider buying a video doorbell and should know about the variety of available variants. Certain models are cordless, making it simple to mount them to your door and establish a Wi-Fi connection. On the other hand, some require hardwiring, making installation a bit more complex and less feasible for apartment residents who can’t make any modifications they can make to their units.
With so many different types of variants available in the market, there is a video doorbell that will best meet the needs of every homeowner. Keeping in mind which features are essential, which specs are the most important, and which video doorbells work well with the smart home system you already have installed, we have prepared a list of the five best video doorbells.
Here are top 5 video doorbells that you should purchase this year.
Arlo Doorbell – Best Video Doorbell
- 2K HDR Video: Zoom in to clearly see important details like eye color, license plates, and labels.
- Security in the Palm of Your Hand: Receive notifications when motion is detected and watch live streaming video from your smartphone or tablet.
- More Ways to Answer: See and speak to visitors with clear 2-Way Audio, or respond with pre-recorded quick reply messages when you’re busy. Receive a video call when your doorbell is pressed and never miss a visitor.
Arlo’s 2nd Generation Video doorbell is the market’s best option. This doorbell must be at the top of your list of things to consider, regardless of whether you currently own Arlo devices. Thanks to its remarkable 180-degree field of view and 1:1 aspect ratio, the sleek and small design provides incredibly 2K resolution detailed footage that lets you see the complete person at your door as well as any packages lying on the ground.
Installation options for this video doorbell are extremely flexible. You can tap into your existing doorbell wiring, or run it as a battery-powered device.
If you are looking to save a few dollars, you can get the HD version of the doorbell for less. It has all the same features, but a slightly lower resolution that you might not even notice.
Ring Video Doorbell Wired – Best Budget Video Doorbell
- 1080p HD wired video doorbell with two-way talk, advanced motion detection, standard 2.4 GHz connectivity and customizable privacy settings.
- Get real-time notifications sent straight to your phone. To hear audio notifications in your home, pair with a Ring Chime, compatible Alexa device, or select the Video Doorbell Wired + Chime bundle. Note: the doorbell will not sound your existing chime.
- Advanced motion detection helps you know when someone’s at your front door before they ring your doorbell.
The Ring Video Doorbell Wired is the most affordable model in the company’s range and offers great value. Like other Ring smart doorbells, it records full HD video and crystal-clear audio and displays color throughout the day before turning to black and white at night. However, its field of vision is only 155 degrees, which is a little less.
You may either buy the Ring Chime or Ring Chime Pro or connect the doorbell to an Amazon Echo Smart speaker to make sure you know when the guests arrive. This doorbell works with Alexa, but it is not compatible with Google Assistant or HomeKit.
Google Nest Doorbell – Best Doorbell for Google Assistant
- The wired Nest Doorbell can tell the difference between a person, package, animal, and vehicle; get alerts about the things that matter most to you, no subscription required
- Get peace of mind knowing you can check your video doorbell 24/7 without having to recharge batteries
- See what you missed with 3 hours of free event video history included in the Google Home app; watch 2-second previews and 5-minute clips of important activity
The Google Nest Doorbell features a circular black-and-white look, just like many other digital doorbells. But what makes it stand out is its capacity to attempt facial recognition in addition to displaying visitors.
Its “similar facial structure” function records the facial structure of people who come to your door so you may tag them in the app. This implies that the program will identify them and send a notification on their next visit. The collection of photos grows with every visit, gradually improving facial recognition skills.
In comparison to other smart doorbells covered here, the Nest Hello records video at a lower resolution, even if it is powered by the mains. The camera quality is still good enough to recognize people at the door, and the app is very easy to use. The doorbell works flawlessly with Google Assistant; however, it isn’t compatible with HomeKit or Alexa.
Ring Video Doorbell Pro 2 – Best Doorbell for Alexa
- Premium wired video doorbell with Head-to-Toe HD+ Video, Two-Way Talk with Audio+, 3D Motion Detection, built-in Alexa Greetings (an exclusive Ring Protect Plan subscription feature), and customizable privacy settings.
- See more of who stops by and check in on package deliveries down low with improved 1536p Head-to-Toe HD+ Video.
- Know when someone’s in your front yard with advanced motion settings and get more accurate real-time alerts in the Ring app.
Ring’s nearly top-tier video doorbell emerges as a close competitor to our top choice. It shows you the complete height of people at your door and any packages they might be carrying with its equally detailed footage in a 1:1 aspect ratio.
It differs from its competitors thanks to its improved colored night vision. The camera uses ambient light in its field of vision to imitate color to improve visibility at night. It tints objects such as the sky to make nighttime films more recognizable.
Although the Ring Video Doorbell Pro 2 is more expensive, the Ring Video Doorbell Pro, which is still available, is a good option for people who don’t want to invest much. Even though it doesn’t have the same 1:1 aspect ratio and high quality, this variant is still a great option.
Logitech Circle View Doorbell – Best Doorbell for Apple HomeKit
- A wired video doorbell that works exclusively with Apple HomeKit, featuring Logitech TrueView head-to-toe HD video, Face Recognition, color night vision, 2-way audio, and more.Controller Type:Apple HomeKit.Connectivity protocol:Wi-Fi.Power source type:Battery Powered
- Replaces your existing wired doorbell and works with your existing indoor chime. Complete pre-purchase home compatibility check on Logitech’s website before purchasing.
- Installation requires dealing with electrical cabling, and may also require the use of power tools and electrical testing equipment.
The Logitech Circle View Doorbell offers an array of features, including head-to-toe HD video and face recognition, ensuring you’re always in the know about who or what is at your door. Beyond its functional prowess, the doorbell boasts a striking design, seamlessly integrating into your home’s exterior aesthetic. Plus, it’s compatible with Apple HomeKit, allowing easy setup for live views and two-way audio on your Apple devices. The Logitech TrueView technology and color night vision deliver unparalleled video quality, even in low-light conditions. With end-to-end encryption, you are fully secured since it limits access to you and trusted individuals. If you want to level up your home’s security, Circle View Doorbell is your safest bet.
Other Video Doorbells to Consider
Not sure one of the aforementioned video doorbells is for you? Here are the most popular doorbells for you to consider:
These best 5 video doorbells include a wide range of features that appeal to different preferences and demands. From Arlo’s comprehensive capabilities to Ring’s enhanced night vision, each device brings unique features. To find the perfect fit for your home, make sure you consider your priorities: need for advanced security, smart integrations, or ease of use.